Click here to return to Veteran Blog

Dear Members of the Corps of Signals fratenity,
With grief we are posting details of our colleagues who leave for their heavenly abode. We request members to forward their "shradhanjali". Kindly share with us the photographs, fond memories and association.
We await tributes from associates/ course mates for publication.
Blog Team

RMS Tributes
  • Amar Jawan: Roll of Honour of the Indian Armed Forces
  • The Kargil Memorial
  • Thursday, July 1, 2010

    Col DS Ghonkrokta

    I had the privilege of serving with this fine officer in 8 Mtn Div Sig Regt in 1976-77. He was then a young subaltern and I was the 2IC of the Regt. Devinder as he was popularly known in the Regt was one of the finest young officer I have ever come across in my entire service. Extremely energetic and with a good sense of humour, he was loved by all his colleagues. A very fine sportsman too, the fact that the Sig Regt won all Div Tps sport events was due to a large measure his contribution.

    He met me again in 1993 when he was diagnosed for Cancer. The mere fact that he lived so many years after contracting the dreaded disease shows his never die and positive attitude to life. I met him last about a year back in RR Hospital Delhi. Even then his broad smile and energy in his manner of speech indicated his positive attitude to life.

    I pray to God to give this fine Officer and Gentleman a nice corner in Heaven.

    I am sure he would have put all documentation in place so that his wife Neena does not have any problems in her life ahead. In case there are any loose end to be tied, I volunteer to extend help.
    Maj Gen L Tahiliani